Incentivized testnet?

We’re exploring the possibility of running an incentivized testnet at the end of our decentralized testnet period.

The high level goals would be to:

1. Maximize engagement and useful feedback during testnet phase to enhance the likelihood of a successful and stable mainnet.
  2. Attract competent stakers/node operators who are not currently in the NuCypher ecosystem by giving them a merit-based way to get stake in the network.

If we pursue an incentivized testnet, we think it makes sense to have some portion of it objective rankings based on some pre-defined scoring criteria (e.g uptime, performance, etc.) as well as a more subjective portion that allows us to discretionally reward tokens to participants who make contributions that are less measurable or that we don’t anticipate in advance (e.g. bug reports, novel attacks).

What are your thoughts on incentivized testnets? What are appropriate/sufficient reward amounts? What are the things you’d like to see in an incentivized testnet? Are incentivized testnets an effective way to achieve the above-mentioned goals? What are the best examples that we could learn from?

2 Likes

That would be awesome to have test net with incentives.

1 Like

Definitely a good idea. It will be rewarding both for you (battle-testing NuCypher network and creating a community of validators most of whom I’m sure will transition into the mainnet) and for participants (rewards, getting tokens for those who will not be able to participate in WorkLock).

Yes, you can have some quantitative metrics like uptime and performance. Also, you can introduce weekly rewards for performing specific actions like making transactions, participating in governance, upgrading the software, etc.

1 Like

This is an interesting idea - explicit things people can do that will guarantee them at least some allocation. Definitely an interesting way to test network upgrades, maybe a WorkLock testrun, etc.

Definitely a great idea. It will help the network to meet different situations by simulating them during the testnet. I have a bit of experience with cosmos sdk based projects. I would like to join nucypher testnet as well. Please let know how can I join it?

1 Like

We’ll have a public faucet soon, but in the meantime you can join our Discord (discord.nucypher.com) and send me a DM for access.

Awesome. Incentives will work well

This is a good idea, any New news about it?

1 Like

Not yet, but should be some news soon.

1 Like

@maclane I’m a big believer in incentivized test nets. Incentives are one aspect of the process I use to determine what networks to validate on -

Here are my thoughts on how to improve on the original Cosmos Game of Stakes incentivized testnet -

2 Likes

Finally, Chorus One wrote this fantastic post on the idea -

(As a new user I could only post two links in the previous post.)

2 Likes

This is a very good opportunity to let more people know about nucypher.

1 Like